Tyson's Story

I've been meaning to write and let you know how Tyson is doing. I can't believe it's been almost 5 months now.

We adopted, Tyson (his given name was Fonzie), the weekend after Thanksgiving this past year 2002. I had decided I wanted a dog, and John, my fiancé, told me to try and find a breed that would fit our lifestyle and we then we would discuss it. We knew we wanted a med-large dog, shorthaired, athletic, John wanted a really playful dog and I wanted a really loving cuddly dog - I got to the B's in the dog breed book and there it was, The Boxer, the perfect dog for us! We did some more research and then stumbled upon the Boxer Rescue League of LA at which point I was totally convinced we were meant to have a boxer. I really wanted to adopt.

I filled out the application on line and heard back from someone the next day. We had been approved! I was getting more and more excited. We made an appointment to visit BRLA on Friday of that week, "just to look."

Friday morning, we met with Jordan (I'm pretty sure that was her name) and Ursula. We talked for a while about boxers and what we were looking for. Jordan knew just the dog. She brought out Fonzie, a fawn, medium sized youngster. It was love at first sight for me. We walked him for a while; he was so skinny and scared. We were told he had kennel stress. I thought he was just the sweetest thing. The thing that struck me was how much of a love bug he was! He was doing the classic boxer lean - and sitting in my lap and I had only known him a few minutes.


George was discovered living, in the intense summer heat and through the heavy, cold, winter rains,, in a 5 x. 7 pen. George was never allowed out of his pen, was never walked, was never given any human contact or love. In addition, he was living is his own excrement. Thankfully, a fellow Boxer owner and loving lady happened upon George and reported his condition to the Humane Society. The Humane Society investigated George and his situation, but as terrible as it was, all they could do: was issue a warning to George's owner.

This Boxer loving lady did not give up, she recruited 2 additional Boxer loving friends and together they tried everything, including bribery, to get George's owner to release him to them. Finally after 5 agonizing days of this coercing, the owner relented and gave George up. The first thing the ladies did after retrieving George was to put him on a long lead and run up and down the street with him. Despite all of his isolation and suffering, he was full of love and true Boxer spirit.

Boxer Rescue Fund of Los Angeles then took George. We had the task of getting him healthy, neutered, teaching him a few manners, and healing his ravaged ears from fly strikes (his ears were completely raw). We had never seen anything like it. His ears hurt him so badly that he would not let anyone touch his head. We treated his ears and gave him lots of love, which he accepted eagerly and returned so enthusiastically. As his ears healed, he then let you pet and touch his head. Soon, the only remaining scars of George's plight was his lost puppy-hood. He was so exuberant, full of energy, life and love.

After 4 months in the care of Boxer Rescue, George had his lucky day a few weeks ago when he won the hearts of a wonderful family and they gave him the life he so deserved. George is being properly spoiled and is the baby of the family. George is now able to run free in his new back yard at his every whim, I could not have wished for a happier ending for my boy, George.

Yes, I miss George so, but there will be many more Boxers who come through this rescue with a past just as bad, maybe worse. We don't always know their story to tell, but they all have love to give, are deserving of a home and a happy ending.

Leegie Parker
Return to incredible stories

We provide California Adoptions only  Search for adoptions in other parts of the country and the world.

January 2005 Newsletter



Please Sign Our
Guest Book